So if you’re like us , and love shopping and getting new clothes , then maybe you too are susceptible to the fast fashion industry. Don’t worry we aren’t innocent either , but there’s little changes that can make such an impact to those working behind the scenes to produce these garments for us .
When we go shopping , most of won’t even think about the hours of work put in by people, to produce these cheap fashion items. Recently I have took it upon myself to research into Bangladeshi Garment workers, and I was so shocked to hear what has been going on, whilst we all turned a blind eye, here are some shocking facts I’ve discovered….
- In Bangladesh there are about three million people working in the garment industry 85% of them being women
- These workers struggle with poor working conditions ,long hours, low wages and are denied basic trade union rights.
- They are paid £25 – £32 per a month , which is far below a standard living wage
- The women are verbally abused and assaulted .
These workers are making clothes for some of your favourite fast fashion stores, for example boohoo, Primark, ASDA , H&M , and many more, even celebs such as Kylie Jenner have been called out for the underpayment of these workers . Complaints have been previously made about these terrible conditions , yet no actions were taken by UK retailers to help rectify. The exploitation of these workers cannot go on , so here are a few things you can do to help…
- Reduce the amount of clothing you buy from fast fashion stores.
- Buy more clothing from thrift stores/ charity shops
- buy from fair trade and ethical fashion brands
- sign petitions to help improve the living conditions of these workers.
- share and educate others on this issue !!!
- try making your own clothes if you know how to sew!!
A LIST OF SUSTSINABLE AND ETHICAL CLOTHING BRANDS AVAILABLE IN THE UK :
- People tree
- Nancy Tree
Also remeber if you ever need to get rid of some clothes which you no longer need, try giving some to local charity shops/ thrift stores, so that you can help others out in finding something cheap and in their style. plus not all the money raised in those stores is given back to these retailers , some donate a lot of the proceeds towards charity.
I hope this blog post was helpful and educational , please share and help educate others .
Here are a few links to check out :