Hey guys!! finally back with another school related post, the jump between yr 11 and 12 can be daunting, and even scarier when you’re trying to figure out what a-levels you wish to study for the next two years. But not to worry, I have some tips to help ensure you make the right choice 🙂
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
Growing up my parent’s wanted me to be a docotor so i adapted to the mindset that I wanted to be a doctor too, however I slowly learnt that isn’t what i want, i also slowly looked into psychology and as someone that’s quite passionate about mental health this seemed like the perfect fit. Hence now i am an aspiring psychologist :). I myself never did psychology at GCSE so I didn’t know what the subject would be like, hence doing research into potential subjects to study is crucial.
TIPS ON HOW TO PICK THE RIGHT A-LEVELS
- Make sure you’re choosing for yourself and not anyone else, including your parents
- Choose subjects you enjoy, a levels is much more demanding so don’t do something you know you’ll find boring
- If there are too many subjects you like then do a process of elimitation, look into what subjects you need to do to get into specific uni courses. The courses that typically can help you get into alot of different pathways at uni are: maths,chemistry,physics,biology and english. so usually it’s best to have atleast one or two of these subjects as your a levels.
- Don’t feel the need to do 4 a levels, you don’t need to add extra stress on yourself when uni’s only look for 3. Also remember that getting A*AA is better than getting AAAB for example.
- Look into potential future careers
- Read books about a subject you may want to do to help you get a further insight into it
- Talk to friends and family or people that you know that have done a levels or are currently doing them, especially if it’s one you want to do.
- Don’t stress if you are still unsure what subjects you want to do, usually schools let you switch subjects if there are still available places, within the first week.
- Finally and most importantly, don’t choose the same thing as your friends, just for the sake of being together. this is YOUR future so make sure you’re choosing for yourself 🙂
Help this helped, feel free to DM us on instagram or leave a comment if you need more help and advice ❤